We at ISC/SCI have the following fundamental policies:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information is shared publicly and privately.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather and use your personal information.
- We do not share your information with any third parties, except as necessary to provide the services offered and to improve service.
Information we collect when you visit our website
We use a third party hosting service to host our website. Our web server automatically logs the IP address you use to access our website as well as other information about your visit such as the pages accessed, information requested, the date and time of the request, the source of your access to our website (e.g. the website or URL (link) which referred you to our website), and your browser version and operating system.
Our third party hosting provider stores server logs to ensure network and IT security so that the server and website remain uncompromised. This includes analyzing log files to help identify and prevent unauthorised access to our network, the distribution of malicious code, denial of services attacks and other cyber attacks, by detecting unusual or suspicious activity.
Unless we are investigating suspicious or potential criminal activity, we do not make, nor do we allow our website hosting service to make any attempt to identify you from the information collected via server logs.
Information we collect when you contact us
Contact Form and Conference Registration Form submissions: When you contact us using our forms we collect your name, email address and all the information you include in the form fields. If you do not provide the mandatory information required by our form, you will not be able to submit the form and we will not receive your submission.
Information you send to us via our forms will be stored on our web server and also transferred to our email server.
Contact form submissions are kept on the website for a period of one year for customer service purposes.
Conference registration submissions are kept on the website until three months after the conference.
Emails: When you send an email to any of the email addresses displayed on our website, we collect your email address and any other information you provide in that email (such as your name, telephone number and the information contained in any signature block in your email). Emails you send to us will be stored on the servers of our website hosting provider. Emails are stored for an indefinite period of time.
Information we collect for member services
Member Information: When you register as a member, we ask for your email address in order to set up your account. You may provide us with more information—like your name—but we don’t require that information to create your account.
You can see, edit, or delete your personal information at any time (except you cannot change your username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Your email address and any personal information you provide when you register is automatically shared with other ISC/SCI members in the Membership Directory. If you wish to be removed from the Membership Directory, please send an email to the web administrator at email@example.com.
We do not sell or share members’ personal information.
From time to time, we will send you emails for the following purposes:
- To inform you of news and events of the ISC/SCI and affiliated societies
- To solicit your feedback and suggestions
- To notify you of your pending membership expiry
If you would like to be removed from membership emails, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove your email address from our list.
Listed Profiles: Any information you provide in a Listed Profile is shared publicly and may be discovered by search engines. You can see, edit, or delete your information at any time. Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Discussion boards: You are welcome to participate in the ISC-L discussion list and the ISC/SCI chat sessions. Please note that submitting your email address to join a discussion is completely voluntary. Discussions and chat session transcriptions are available only to ISC-L list members and ISC/SCI members respectively.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this website, or have submitted a form, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Online payment processing
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
How we protect your information and secure information transmissions
We employ commercially reasonable methods to ensure the security of the information you provide to us and the information we collect automatically. This includes using standard security protocols and working only with reputable third-party vendors.
The information you enter on our website is transmitted securely via a secure medium known as Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL.
Email is not recognized as a secure medium of communication. For this reason, we request that you do not send private information to us by email. However, doing so is allowed, but at your own risk.
We may use software programs to create summary statistics in order to assess the number of visitors to the different sections of our website and to identify system performance or problem areas.
For security purposes and to ensure that the website remains available to all users, we use software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
If you are within the European Union, you are entitled to certain information and have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation. Those rights include the following:
- We will retain the any information you choose to provide to us until the earlier of: (a) you asking us to delete the information, (b) our decision to cease using our existing data providers, or (c) we decide that the value in retaining the data is outweighed by the costs of retaining it.
- You have the right to request access to your data that we store and the rights to either rectify or erase your personal data.
- You have the right to seek restrictions on the processing of your data.
- You have the right to object to the processing of your data and the right to the portability of your data.
- To the extent that you provided consent to the ISC/SCI’s processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based upon consent that occurred prior to your withdrawal of consent.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority that has jurisdiction over issues related to the General Data Protection Regulation.
- We require only the information that is reasonably required to provide services to you. We will not require you to provide consent for any unnecessary processing as a condition of receiving services.
Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation
133 Major Street
Toronto, ON M5S 2K9
Email Address: email@example.com
Version 1.0: May 25, 2018