Michelle Guiliano - Line by Line Indexing
Some facts about my indexing business and process:
1 I’ve indexed over 125,00 pages in more than 300 books since 2014.
2. Four of the first five books I indexed were over 1000 pages long. I’m a fast learner!
3. My background is in the sciences – medicine specifically. I ran my own medical practice with my husband for more than 10 years.
4. I index more than just medical and science books. Here’s an eclectic selection:
- treatise on dressage: Dressage for No Country by Paul Belasik
- The History of Gangster Rap by Soren Baker
- analysis of post-WWII Italy through cinema, literature, and US military guidebooks: Allied Encounters: The Gendered Redemption of World War II Italy by Marisa Escola
- mystery of America’s first flag’s origin: The First American Flag: Revisiting the Grand Union at Prospect Hill by Byron DeLear
- Chicago sewer system history: West by Southwest to Stickney by Richard Lanyon
5. I read every book that I indexer from cover to cover–at least TWICE. The first time through, I employ the old-school method of marking up the book with a modern twist: on my iPad. Then I read the book for the second time as I prepare the index. Sometimes a third pass through the book is necessary to consolidate concepts and themes.
6. My indexing process is paper-free.
7. Today, I use five software programs to produce one quality index. Thirty-five years ago, indexers used only index cards and an electric typewriter. I don’t know how they managed.
Find out more about my indexing business and my rates here.