Close Reading Indexing and Editing
I am an embedded and back-of-book/traditional scholarly indexer. My rates are competitive with industry standard, generally falling between $5 and $7 per page for a traditional back-of-book index. Though I possess a wide variety of interests, I am an expert in history, particularly medieval European history, in which I hold a PhD. I both taught and published at the university level for several years. My academic knowledge is interdisciplinary, stretching from history into literature, archaeology, anthropology, religious studies, philosophy, and theology. Trained as a medievalist, my subject knowledge covers late antiquity through the early modern period, Iceland to China. I have taught and studied world civilizations and modern history, particularly that of the Middle East. As a research academic, I am familiar with the structure of academic writing, the audience it looks toward, and the needs a scholarly index must serve.
Outside of academia, I am broadly read and have particular familiarity with manuals for writing as craft, trade nonfiction (including the hard sciences and mathematics), gaming books, and travel books.
I also offer an Index Review and Edit package for authors who have indexed their own books but would like a set of professional eyes on the index before sending it off to the publisher. Cheaper than hiring out for the full index, this package includes evaluation of the index for consistency and the application of best practices to the index.
Recent books indexed (embedded indexes marked by ** ):
- Audretsch, David B., et al., eds. Developments in Entrepreneurial Finance and Technology. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2022.
- Becker, Ann M. Smallpox in Washington’s Army: Disease, War, and Society during the Revolutionary War. Lanham, MD Lexington Books, 2023.
- **Clark, Joseph M. H. Veracruz and the Caribbean in the Seventeenth Century. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2023.
- Cook, Rebecca J., ed. Frontiers of Gender Equality: Transnational Legal Perspectives. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2023. [Table of Cases and Table of Legislation Index Only]
- **Gillingham, Lauren. Fashionable Fictions and the Currency of the Nineteenth-Century British Novel. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2024.
- **Hampton, Alexander J.B. and Douglas Hendley, eds. The Cambridge Companion to Christianity and the Environment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2022.
- **Hampton, Alexander J.B., ed. Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi and the Ends of the Enlightenment: Religion, Philosophy, and Reason at the Crux of Modernity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2023.
- Kreindler, Simon. The Sephardi Jews of Barbados (1627 to 1934). Self-published, 2022.
- **Krueger, Roberta L., ed. The New Cambridge Companion to Medieval Romance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2023.
- McManus, Stuart M. Jesuit World Philology & the Birth of Comparative Grammar: The “Inua Indica” of Ignazio Arcamone SJ.
- Muhareb, Mahmoud. The Jewish Agency and Syria during the Arab Revolt: Secret Meetings and Negotiations. London: I.B. Tauris, 2023.
- Raymond, Claire. “Social Dirt, Liminality, and the Adjunct Predicament,” book chapter. Indiana University Press, 2023.
- Sanderson, Jimmy and Melinda R. Weathers, eds. Health Communication and Sport: Connections, Applications, and Opportunities. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2022.
- Schmidt, Benjamin, Sean Sweetman, and Briana Garcia. Creating Natural Form: Restorative Art Theory and Application. Tuesday Evening Publications, 2022.
- Woolley, Samuel. Manufacturing Consensus: Understanding Propaganda in the Era of Automation and Anonymity. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2023.