Carla DeSantis, PhD
**Winner of the 2020 Ewart-Daveluy Indexing Award for excellence in indexing, awarded by the Indexing Society of Canada.
I love to gather and organize information. As a scholarly researcher, I am accustomed to managing lengthy and complex research and writing projects. As a professional indexer, I apply those same skills to your book by meticulously reading and analysing your content to create a carefully composed and useful back-of-the-book index. I specialize in scholarly and academic materials (Humanities, Social Sciences, Business), including complex documentation and multilingual texts, in a range of fields and disciplines: literature, linguistics, history, religion, philosophy, sociology, political science, economics, business.
I also offer indexing and editing services for English texts containing Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian, Spanish, French, German, and (limited) Arabic, and translating services from Italian, Spanish, and Latin into English.
I feel very lucky to have found Carla to do the index for my first book, Alone Together: Poetics of the Passions in Late Medieval Iberia (U. of Toronto Press). In my book, I cite texts in Old Spanish, Catalan, and Portuguese, as well as Latin, and I work on numerous medieval authors who used an expansive lexicon of emotion terms. Carla did an astounding job of identifying key terms and, crucially, understanding the relationships among them, in order to produce an index that is thorough but easy to use. Along the way, Carla made some observations based on her careful reading of my manuscript that helped me make some needed revisions that I would certainly have missed on my own. It was a pleasure to work with Carla from the beginning to the end of the indexing process. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend her as an editor or indexer to my colleagues, and indeed, I already have.
Henry Berlin, Associate Professor of Spanish, University of Buffalo, SUNY
I highly recommend Carla DeSantis as an indexer. Her knowledge of Spanish and Latin were indispensable for my coedited volume Health and Healing in the Early Modern Iberian World: A Gendered Perspective. In addition to her indexing skills, she caught many small copyediting errors. She was easy to work with and also was quick to respond to queries. I would definitely use her again for another book.
Sarah E. Owens, Professor of Hispanic Studies, College of Charleston
Examples of a my indexing work include: (links are to Amazon.com; please use the “Look inside!” feature to view the index)
- Henry Berlin. Alone Together: Poetics of the Passions in Late Medieval Iberia. University of Toronto Press, 2021 (336 pp.)
- Margaret E. Boyle and Sarah E. Owens, eds. Health and Healing in the Early Modern Iberian World: A Gendered Perspective. University of Toronto Press, 2021 (288 pp.).
- Diana Aramburu, Resisting Invisibility: Detecting the Female Body in Spanish Crime Fiction, University of Toronto Press, 2019 (261 pp.).
- Brian C. Gunia, The Bartering Mindset: A Mostly Forgotten Framework for Mastering Your Next Negotiation, University of Toronto Press, 2019 (238 pp.).
- Heather Bamford, Cultures of the Fragment: Uses of the Iberian Manuscript, 1100-1600, University of Toronto Press, 2018 (257 pp.).
- Mohammad Jafar Amir Mahallati, Ethics of War and Peace in Iran and Shi’i Islam, University of Toronto Press, 2016 (351 pp.).
In addition to my academic background in language and literature (PhD, Medieval Studies: Medieval Latin and Romance Philology; MA, Classical Latin; BA, Classics and Spanish), I have taught university-level language courses, held research positions, and worked as a freelance editor since 2011 for university presses and individual scholars.
As a dual U.S./Canadian citizen, I am available for telecommuting employment in both countries.
Other specialized subject areas include: Classics, antiquity, ancient culture, medieval studies, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation, Humanism, Romance philology, dialects, literary criticism, poetry, theatre, theater, drama, textual criticism, manuscript studies, palaeography, codicology, hermeneutics, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Canada, Toronto, theology, Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism, Jewish studies, Islam, Muslim studies, mythology, grammar, grammatical texts, etymology, lexicography, history of book production, bibliography, political science, education, style guides, genealogy, parenting, juvenile diabetes
*Please visit my website for more details: carladesantisediting.com.
- Arts and Humanities: Archaeology and ancient history, Art and architecture, History, Language and linguistics, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Religion and spirituality
- Economy, politics and law: General, Business, Economics, Government and politics
- Industry and technology: Communications
- International studies: Canadian studies, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, United States, International relations
- Lifestyle and Leisure: Food and drink, Travel and tourism, Personal development
- Society: Anthropology, Culture, Education, Family, Gender studies, Social activism, Sociology and social services, Urban studies
- Materials - Books: Scholarly books, Biographies and memoirs, Textbooks, Bibliographies, Encyclopedias, dictionaries, and glossaries
- Materials - Other: Academic papers and essays, Government materials, Reports, Business/government correspondence, Periodicals and almanacs
- Other Skills: Consulting, Teaching/training, Editing, Proofreading, Translation, Writing