Carla DeSantis, PhD
I love to gather and organize information. As a scholarly researcher, I am accustomed to managing lengthy and complex research and writing projects. As a professional indexer, I apply those same skills to your book by meticulously reading and analysing your content to create a carefully composed and useful back-of-the-book index. I specialize in scholarly and academic materials (Humanities, Social Sciences, Business), including complex documentation and multilingual texts, in a range of fields and disciplines: literature, linguistics, history, religion, philosophy, sociology, political science, economics, business.
I also offer indexing and editing services for English texts containing Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian, Spanish, French, German, and (limited) Arabic, and translating services from Italian, Spanish, and Latin into English.
I won the 2020 Ewart-Daveluy Indexing Award for excellence in indexing, for the index that I wrote for Heather Bamford, Cultures of the Fragment: Uses of the Iberian Manuscript, 1100-1600 (University of Toronto Press, 2018).
Examples of a my indexing work include: (links are to Amazon.com; please use the “Look inside!” feature to view the index)
- Margaret E. Boyle and Sarah E. Owens, eds. Health and Healing in the Early Modern Iberian World: A Gendered Perspective. University of Press, forthcoming (262 pp.).
- Diana Aramburu, Resisting Invisibility: Detecting the Female Body in Spanish Crime Fiction, University of Toronto Press, 2019 (261 pp.).
- Brian C. Gunia, The Bartering Mindset: A Mostly Forgotten Framework for Mastering Your Next Negotiation, University of Toronto Press, 2019 (238 pp.).
- Heather Bamford, Cultures of the Fragment: Uses of the Iberian Manuscript, 1100-1600, University of Toronto Press, 2018 (257 pp.).
- Mohammad Jafar Amir Mahallati, Ethics of War and Peace in Iran and Shi’i Islam, University of Toronto Press, 2016 (351 pp.).
In addition to my academic background in language and literature (PhD, Medieval Studies: Medieval Latin and Romance Philology; MA, Classical Latin; BA, Classics and Spanish), I have taught university-level language courses, held research positions, and worked as a freelance editor since 2011 for university presses and individual scholars.
As a dual U.S./Canadian citizen, I am available for telecommuting employment in both countries.
Other specialized subject areas include: Classics, antiquity, ancient culture, medieval studies, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation, Humanism, Romance philology, dialects, literary criticism, poetry, theatre, theater, drama, textual criticism, manuscript studies, palaeography, codicology, hermeneutics, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Canada, Toronto, theology, Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism, Jewish studies, Islam, Muslim studies, mythology, grammar, grammatical texts, etymology, lexicography, history of book production, bibliography, political science, education, style guides, genealogy, parenting, juvenile diabetes
*Please visit my website for more details: Carla DeSantis, Editing & Language Services, carladesantisediting.com.