TIDE Committee founded the Diversity in Canadian Publishing Bursary for Indexers in 2019. The goal of the bursary is to create a diverse indexing environment by inspiring the participation of individuals who self-identify as belonging to an underrepresented or marginalized group. With this bursary, we join the growing human rights movement within the publishing world that aims to encourage a multiplicity of voices throughout the industry.
The bursary is awarded to one recipient who has completed the application process. It covers fees for an approved indexing program, two years of ISC/SCI membership with listing, and entry into the Mary Newberry Mentorship Program.
For more information regarding the bursary, please have a look at the bursary page, and share with your contacts!
Want to join the committee or help us with the Diversity in Canadian Publishing Bursary for Indexers? Get in touch by emailing TIDE@indexers.ca.
To have the Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI) fully reflect the diversity of Canadian society and to be able to provide high quality indexes to diverse stakeholders outside the society.
- Recruit new people from diverse backgrounds who are interested in indexing as a career
- Support these new people who join ISC/SCI
- Encourage these new people to join committees and contribute
- Focus initially on individuals who are BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, people of colour)
- Begin dialogue with members about the importance of inclusivity, diversity, and equity
- Make cultural competency training available to members
- Foster a welcoming atmosphere for new visible minorities
Stakeholders outside Society
- Begin dialogue about ISC/SCI with visible minority and structurally disadvantaged community groups
- Publicize our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and anti-racism through public statements, support of industry propositions/statements/goals, inclusion of issues through conferences, and updates of committee though ISC website.
The TRC Calls to Action
The Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (TIDE) committee is guided by the principles of the Canada Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s (TRC) Calls to Action document. In particular, TIDE committee will focus on these goals for Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI) as an organization:
- Establishing and maintaining mutually respectful relationships
- Being properly reflective of the diverse cultures, languages and perspectives of Indigenous Peoples
- Increasing equitable access for professional development opportunities
If you would join the committee or help us with the new Diversity in Canadian Publishing, please get in touch! Email TIDE@indexers.ca.
Caring about Equity, Diversity and Representation Webinar
Webinar presented by Paula Butler in June 2020.
For a list of anti-racism, diversity, inclusion, equity style guides/tips/information please visit the TIDE Resources page.