Dear Indexing Student
Congratulations on your decision to learn about indexing!
At this time, you may be feeling excited, bewildered, or both about your course. You may be learning indexing as part of a program. Or perhaps you are going to make a career as an indexer.
Whatever brought you here, we would not be surprised if you’ve never met an indexer in your life. And that’s why we made this page just for you.
We’re the Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI), Canada’s professional society of indexers. We would like to tell you about the many indexing resources available to you to round out your studies and help you in your career.
The mission of the ISC/SCI is to encourage the production and use of indexes, promote the recognition of indexers, improve indexing techniques, and foster communication among individual indexers across Canada.
Our vision is “Accessible information; informed people.”
We fulfill our vision and mission by providing the following resources.
Here you’ll find
- the list of reference books that indexers use to solve their indexing conundrums
- links to the major indexing software programs
- advice we give to authors about hiring an indexer
- links to join discussion groups and special interest groups covering a wide range of topics, such as unusual indexing situations, specialty subject matter, and professional etiquette
- back issues of the Bulletin, the newsletter of the ISC/SCI
- links to our affiliated indexing societies in the US, England, Netherlands, Germany, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, and China
- and more.
From time to time, our regional groups have meetings and get-togethers to talk about indexing and the freelance business lifestyle. These meetings are typically open to everyone and are announced on the calendar. There may be an upcoming event in your area.
To find out more about attending a regional meeting or to speak to a representative in your area, contact:
- British Columbia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prairies and Northern Canada: email@example.com
- Ontario: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Québec and Atlantic Canada: email@example.com
Each year, we hold our national conference in a different Canadian city. Conference presenters come from around the world to speak on a range of topics from indexing matters to running your freelance business. Visit the conference page to find out more.
Students who are serious about earning an income as an indexer benefit from becoming a member of the Society. If you are enrolled full-time in a college, technical institute, or university, a special student rate is available to you.
As a member, you will:
- Be able to join our ISC/SCI discussion group and monthly online Zoom chat so that you can learn from the collective experience of fellow members.
- Stay current with the ISC/SCI Bulletin published three times a year.
- Improve your skills with members-only resources on the website.
- Be eligible to promote your services with a listing in the Register of Indexers Available (Find an Indexer).
- Locate your fellow members in the membership directory.
- Get the world perspective in The Indexer, the international journal of indexing, mailed to you four times a year.
- Receive membership discounts on the national conference, the Information Today book series, and the conferences, webinars, and publications of our affiliated societies.
Connect with us
“You’re an indexer? I didn’t know that was a ‘thing’!”
If you’ve heard that before, then you know that the indexing community is not a large one. But we are closely connected, and vested in each other’s success—including yours.
You can also send us a note through our Contact page. We would love to hear from you.
Wishing you a great learning experience and career success!